Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nature's Palette

Before I get started with this week's tablescape, there is something I would like to say.   Thanks to everyone for their kind words in regard to my husband's episode of the male equivalent of childbirth (passing a kidney stone).   That's how the nurses described it!  He is coming along slowly but feeling better each day.  Apparently the doctor prescribed watching endless episodes of Pawn Stars and Storage Wars to help the healing process.  Enough of that, let's get to the good stuff!

A few months back I did a table using a remnant found from my favorite place, the back table at Old Time Pottery.  That day I found 5 or 6 I really wanted to take home but somehow kept it to two.  I used the first one HERE and today I am using the second.  These remnants are my kind of project.  Cheap, at $4.99 a yard.  Easy, simply iron edges, apply fabric glue. One of a kind, as opposed to buying a ready made table cover or runner.  I just fell head over heels for this fabric.  I would LOVE to do curtains with it but there was only one little square yard on the table so it will be a table cover for now.  Down the line, it may be a pillow, placemats or napkins.  That's what I love about a fabric remnant!  So many options!


I'm calling this post Nature's Palette because I'm using the color of the sky, the color of rich brown soil and the vibrant green found in new growth on plants in the spring.  Sorry, that got a bit corny!  How about this...I like blue, green and brown!


I set a table for 4 in my Dining Room.  My husband isn't in any condition to take the leaf in and out so we will be using the table on the smaller side for a while.


The place setting starts with a glass charger (Ross).  I like that you can see some of the fabric with these.  I topped it with a blue dinner plate (thrift) and a green salad plate (Ross).


I found these appy plates at Marshall's months ago and I've only used them in my China Cabinet when I did a Spring display.  If you look closely you can see the birds.


I thought the stack needed one more level so I added a small votive in glass so as not to cover the appy plate.  Of course, if you were sitting down to dinner here, you would put the candle to the side!


I found these napkin rings at Goodwill and bought them because they were wood and in good shape.  I figured I would paint them eventually.  It turns out they have the perfect colors for this table! 


After trying several combinations of napkins in blue, green and brown, I decided to just use all three together. 


It might be fun to watch as your dinner guests try to figure out what to do with three napkins!


My bamboo flatware adds to the nature theme.


My blue glasses are from Goodwill and the brown ones were on clearance at Bed, Bath and Beyond.


In a perfect world I would have the loveliest shade of blue hydrangeas for this table.  That would have been possible in my NJ house but I still haven't tried to grow them here in FL.  I have a spot in mind though and I will be trying them sometime. 


Instead I used a bird cage and a ceramic pillar (Ross) and filled in with a smaller bird and a wooden pedestal I found at Goodwill.  I gave it a quick coat of spray paint and lightly sanded it in spots(which is about as "crafty" as I get!).




I know there are candles on my table so where are the candlelight shots?  I didn't even try this time.  I don't know if it's my cheapo camera or my lack of photography skills but for now I've given up on the low light shots!  I'm more than ready to hear your advice on this though.







Would you have passed on this fabric?  Obviously I couldn't! 
Thanks for stopping by and be sure to visit my sister at

I will be joining the following parties and you are invited to click on the links so that you can see more blog posts about tablescaping, decorating, recipes and more.  There is sure to be something of interest to everyone!

Let's Dish at Kathleen Cuisine
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Thrifty Thursday at Thrifty Decorating
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Inspiration Friday at At The Picket Fence
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll thru Life


















21 comments:

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Another pretty tablescape! Thanks for sharing!

PAT said...

I love that fabric too! Beautiful table!

Heather said...

Hi Robin! THanks for visiting my blog nd leaving such sweet comments on my Libbey Glasses! I couldn't reply to your comment however because you are a "No Reply Blogger" which means that when you leave a comment on a blog, the blogger can't reply back to you. DOn't worry though it is easy to fix in your profile settings. You can read how to fix it at Turnstyle Vogue blog here :
http://www.turnstylevogue.com/2012/02/replying-to-comments/
Hope this helps! Have a wonderful week :) Heather

Alycia Nichols said...

You need to find more of that fabric...fast! It's beautiful! I can definitely see it as a fabric for curtains and pillows as well as a table covering. It really is a pretty pattern!!!! Our Old Time Pottery has fallen off the wagon with their fabric patterns lately. Everything looks like it belongs in a nursing home or a mortuary. I'm hoping they step back up to the plate soon. I'm with you on not being terribly crafty. Spray painting is even a drag for me! I'll do it if I have to, but I sure don't WANT to!!! :-) GREAT chargers! I am really anxious for the Ross stores to open here near us. There are at least 2 opening sometime late summer/early fall. I would think it would be easy to grow hydrangea in Florida, but what do I know!!! I guess I just imagine because there are so many beautiful flowers there that it would be a cinch. I was just wishing this morning that I could get the south, east and west sides of our home planted with hydrangea. I could do alkaline soil in one area and acidic in the other for the different colors. That would be so wonderful!!! Beautiful table! Have a great week!!!

Marlis said...

Your fabric turned out wonderful. The fabric is the perfect backdrop for your really pretty glasses, dishes and centerpieces. have a great week, xo marlis

Elaine said...

OK, name your price! That fabric would be perfect as pillows on Laura's sofa! If I just do one side, I could get four pillows done! I could finally stop my six month long search! I would love to find those chargers, too! Love all these colors together! Beautiful table!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Love the piece of fabric Robin, it has colors you love, and I love them too. I'm working on a tablescape with aqua and lime green but out of town this week so maybe I'll finish it next week. I'm waiting on Ross to open too, I don't live far from Alycia so maybe I'll see her there when it opens. I don't have any hydrangea either but sure wish I did. Anyway, beautiful tablescape.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

The bamboo flatware is wonderful. I have some too and I use it all the time! I think I would miss my hydrangea too. Your table is so pretty and it looks cool and refreshing for the summer. Hope your hubby is feeling better soon. Linda

Entertaining Women said...

You've done a beautiful job with the brown, blue, and green color scheme. The fabric remnant is so special. As long as you keep them well watered, I'd think that hydrangeas would do just fine. I love my hydrangeas. Thanks for inviting us for a peak at your wonderful tables cape. Cherry Kay

Mary said...

Your fabric remnant is the perfect foundation for your table~ I love the color combination! I love your trio of napkins and your bamboo flatware is wonderful!

suzyq said...

I just love the colours in your tablecloth!! I would love to sit at your table and enjoy all your gorgeous things!
Suzyq

thistlewoodfarm said...

Visiting from Tablescape Thursday. I really like your tablescape and the colors you have chosen! What beautiful bamboo flatware :)

Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
karianne

Aledia said...

I LOVE that fabric as well, it is just gorgeous!! I like that you used all three napkins and those GW napkin rings are perfect!! Those colors are just beautiful together, hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Aledia @ Plum Perfect

Kathleen said...

No, I couldn't have passed that fabric up! oTP trumps CTS, they don't have fabric. Love all the colors you used. The blue glasses frm GW are so pretty!
It will be interesting to see if you can grow hydrangea, maybe one of the new varieties like Endless Summer. Do you have a shady area for it?
I can't wait for mine to bloom!
Thanks for linking to Let's DisH Nature's Palette, you and Elaine are great scapers! :)

Dianne said...

That fabric would have appealed to me too. I love that color combination. I just bought that same wire cloche two days ago! Everything looks so good together. I especially love the glass chargers. Dianne

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, I love your beautiful fabric, and the cloche dome as the centerpiece sits off your beautiful table.
I'm so glad to hear you hubby is doing ok. Mr. P has had quite a few kidney stones, first one extracted, passed several and then the last ones had to have blown out.. oh the joy of 34 years of marriage.. lol Those were a walk in the park compared to what we're dealing with now.. wishing a speedy recovery.. hugs ~lynne~

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I think this is my first time visiting your blog but it won't be my last! I love that fabric! What a great way to use remnants! The plate stack is perfect and love the birds and pillars centerpiece! Well done!
hugs, Linda

Marigene said...

Ah, my favorite color combo, blues/greens...very pretty fabric...I never think to look in fabric stores to see what I could use on the table.
Hope your husband is well on his way to recovery.

Diann said...

I LOVE this tablescape! All the pretty details are awesome and the colors are perfect! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF this week! Have a great day.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Gorgeous table cloth. I love the blue and the lime, so beautiful and such a lovely tablescape. The bird cloche with the candle is such a cute idea. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

The Charm of Home said...

Very pretty! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry