Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dollar Tree Shepherd Hooks

Years ago I would never shop at a Dollar Store but Dollar Tree has made a believer of me!  I know most of the stuff is probably made in China but so is most of the stuff in every store these days.  Recently I stopped in my local DT and found these cute little Shepherd hooks.  They stand about 25" tall when staked in the ground.  I'll bet you can't guess what they cost!  Ha!


I bought three thinking that was a good, odd number.  Isn't that one of those rules in decorating?  One of those that I don't follow if I feel like using an even number?


I already had an idea of what to hang from them.  These mason jars with the hanging wire came in a 3 pack from Ross.  I just put a little white sand in the bottom, some shells and a votive candle.  Not too original but it's a classic.  That's why we all make these, right?


They sell mason jars, sand and shells at Dollar Tree too if you don't already have them.  You could use twine or rope instead of the wire. 


They look cute on my front walkway but will look even better after the sun goes down and they are lit. 




I also tried a little glass jar I found at Ross and used some colored stones for a different look.  I happen to have 3 of these too.  I guess I'm a believer of that odd number rule!


If you follow this blog, you know one of my favorite tips is to always think at least one season or holiday ahead of time.  We all know how the stores rush the seasons but if you wait too long the good stuff will be gone!   Just buy ahead of time and pray you remember where you put things!


Taking my own advice, I picked up 3 of these lanterns while I was at Dollar Tree.  Perfect for the upcoming Memorial Day, Flag Day and of course, 4th of July.  They light up too (batteries not included). 


They are very fragile so you have to handle them with care.  I guess that's what you get for $1. 

The possibilities are endless with these little hooks.  You could even hang a string of lights from them if you are near an electrical outlet.  Pretty much just stick them in the ground and hang something from them.  What else could I hang from them?  Do you think they are really made for hanging a wreath at a grave?  I would love to hear your ideas so just leave me a comment.

I am joining the following parties...

Seasonal Sundays at the Tablescaper
Sunday Blog  Love Linky Party at Cherished Treasures
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
DIY Project Parade at DIY Showoff
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House in the Roses
Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Tutes and Tips Not to Miss at Home Stories A 2 Z
Your Cozy Home Party at Cozy Home Scenes
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday at Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage








33 comments:

allisamazing said...

I love the many ways you can use those little shepherd hooks. I may have to add them to my shopping list :)

Sandy said...

wow... I'm heading out to my local DT
tomorrow.. they are so expensive in
the garden shops..
thanks for the heads up!
Sandy

Snap said...

Fun finds at Dollar tree and you put the hooks to such good use!

Kathe said...

I bought one (how's that for an odd number?) a couple of years ago and have a garden sign hanging on it. They are not sturdy enough to hang a flower basket from but are terrific for your great idea! I may have to go, oh heck, I know I will go, and get some more!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Wow, I'm going to look for those at my DT! Cute idea!!

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

I, too, shall be heading to DT on Monday; too much going on tomorrow! Thanks for the great heads-up!
Nancy

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Really, the dollar store? Gosh, they are carrying everything now, Robin! I can remember one year, back in NY, I couldn't find a shepherd's hook anywhere. I love the idea of using them to hold candles. I'll be a few of them in a row look really pretty at night.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Great find at the Dollar Store, I like Dollar Tree too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I've got to go to the Dollar Tree! Love how you're using those little shepherd hooks!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Wow! Now I have to check out the Dollar Tree! What a deal and what fun you've had with them! Thanks for sharing!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

What a great find. I have several of them and I'm sure I paid a lot more than $1. I love the mason jars too. I agree with the odd number thing too. It seems to be more pleasing to the eye.

Happy Mother's Day!
Pam

Wendy@Once upon a rose haven said...

Wow! Very clever and very pretty!

Jen C. said...

Cute and fun! I luurve me some dollar store shopping too - for the few things that makes it worth shopping there once in a while. What a great idea with the mason jars!

Scribbler said...

Oooh, I like it! Our neighborhood DT is mostly good for kiddy parties -- very annoying. They never have all the things I see on the blogs. I will look for some of those hooks, though.

Shanee said...

Very cute! I am headed to the Dollar Tree to copy your idea as fast as I can! lol Thanks for sharing, visiting from Between Naps on the Porch.

Michele said...

Very clever and a perfect touch for warm weather entertaining.

Ann said...

I have several shepherds hooks in my yard. Use a few of them to hang bird houses. I love the jar with the candle.
Ann

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

OK...Now I need to go to $ Tree! Better hurry before Dancing with the Stars starts! lol Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Aledia said...

I LOVE shopping at the Dollar Tree and you have found so many wonderful uses for these hooks! I'm truly inspired!

Thanks so much for sharing and have a wonderful evening!

Aledia @ Plum Perfect

Susan said...

You can find some really neat things at the Dollar Tree! When it first came out it was not so good, but over the years it has developed into a pretty awesome store.

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I never cease to be amazed at what you can find at the Dollar Tree! Great find!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Best dollar ever spent :) They look fabulous. Thanks for linking up.
XO
Kristin

Small Holdings Farm said...

Your candle holders are great. I love Dollar Tree and Ross is my fav...we don't have them here in NY but when I go to AZ I love to shop there...I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back. http://smallholdings.blogspot.com
Sherron

Anonymous said...

I love the Dollar Tree for craft supplies and decorating ideas. What wonderful ideas you came up with to show how to use these hooks for things other than just plants. I like the first pictures with the jars of shells and candles this best. Thank you very much for sharing your creative ideas at Your Cozy Home Party!

The Tablescaper said...

Thanks so much for being a part of my 100th Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Unknown said...

They so cute! I'll have to pay a visit to my local DT. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Oooh so ready for summer entertaining. Thank you for sharing this awesome idea! I am a new reader, Tanya :)

Terry said...

Great project and you can't beat the price! I love the idea of hanging those patriotic lanterns up for the holidays this summer! Thank you for linking up at Sunday Blog Love - this is one of my favorite picks for the week! Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Nice use of the hooks, I'll be checking my store for some!

Amber @ Luv and Laughter said...

I found some of these four years ago at JoAnn's on clearance that I got for my wedding to use down the aisle. I hung little tea light lanterns that I got from the dollar spot at Target on them, instead I put flowers in them. I've sure got my money out of those hooks! Not only do we now use them for the garden in the summer, we also put them down the sidewalk and drive way at Christmas time and hang lights on them.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Thanks for stopping by! Last week flew by for me and I didn't get to visit all the blogs I wanted to. You can't beat the price for the shephard's hooks at the Dollar Tree. I think I need a few more :-) I like the paper lanterns too. My husband bought three of the lime green ones, and I'll play around with them this summer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin...Sorry it has taken me a while to get back with you, but I wanted to drop by to say CONGRATS! This post was the most viewed one on my party last week, so you were featured this week. There is a feature button on my blog if you'd like it for your sidebar or a feature page. We all loved seeing your beautiful ideas, so thank you so much for sharing this post at my party!

Heribert said...

a couple of years ago and have a garden sign hanging on it. They are not ... gardenlanternhooks.blogspot.com