Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Update on Umbrella Pole Problems

I know all of you haven't been able to concentrate on anything else this week, worrying about my patio umbrella problems and how I would solve them.  Your wait is over!  You can go on with your life now.  All kidding aside, thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

 In case you don't know what I'm talking about, see my post from last week HERE.  If you just want me to just get to the point, here is the condensed version.  I had no lighting for my patio table and it was always difficult to come up with some sort of centerpiece when I set a table out there.  The candle holder I bought that fit around the umbrella pole seemed like the perfect solution but it was too tall and got in the way of the handle on the pole.  I didn't think we could lift the pole up so that the handle could turn freely because the table is in the corner of my screened Lanai and when opened almost hit the ceiling of the screen cage. 

I asked my neighbor across the street (handy guy who has tools) if he could cut it down.  He said to bring it by and he would see what he could do.  Before I could do that, my husband discovered that if he raised the pole just a little it would work but he needed something strong enough to bear the weight of the umbrella.  Turns out he used the cap from a medicine bottle and it worked like a charm.  He's my own personal MacGyver!


Here's where he added the cap.  You can't even see it inside of the bottom of the table in the storage area.



Now I have a table runner to fit around the pole and a light source that is both pretty and practical.  To top it all off, look what I found at Ross this week.


A tablecloth that matches the runner.  Now you're probably saying "What are you going to do with that, you have a pole in the middle of your table?".  I used it to make napkins and I have enough left to make some place mats too. 


Fabric glue, scissors and an iron was all I needed.


And it coordinates nicely with my outdoor (plastic!) dishes from Target that we use all the time.  They are really a nice quality and I have found the matching serving pieces for less than half price at Ross. 



Even though these are just tea lights they give off a decent amount of light and there is no problem turning the handle now.

The weather looks great so let's eat outside!  And I hope that's the end of my pole problems.

Update-We had dinner outside last night and the candle thing looked and worked great.  Good $4 investment!

I am joining the following parties...
Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Motivate Me Monday @ Keep It Simple
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Show and Tell at mrs. himes class
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Show off your Cottage at House in the Roses
Show and Tell Monday at The Delectable Home
Thrifty Thursday at Thrifty Decorating









3 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Robin, it looks amazing. Love the solution, very handy and creative guy to come up with that one. The napkins, runner and dishes are all perfect together. Great finds. Looks like a fabulous place to relax and enjoy dinner and the candles are such a perfect touch. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

black eyed susans kitchen said...

The table looks fantastic...you guys are very creative and crafty!!

Micupoftea said...

Great ideas...enjoy the pretty tablescape :)