Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

50 Shells of Gray

Don't worry, this tablescape isn't based on "that" book.  Just the title!  I couldn't find any handcuffs small enough to use as napkin rings (some of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about!).   The theme for this week's Let's Dish Party is "beach".  Perfect for a Florida girl who lives 20 minutes from the beach, right?  So fitting, that I have gone with the coastal feel several times in the past few months, see HERE and HERE.  I still have lots of dishes and accessories I could use and I'm sure I will tackle another one before this summer is gone but I just wanted to take a different path today.  I was shopping at the Villeroy and Boch Outlet this week (they are having a scratch and save sale!) and found a gray runner on clearance.  An idea was born!

Instead of being my usual chatty self, I think I will let the pictures tell the story and give my resources at the end.  This is very unlike me and I may never do this again (even if you would like me to!)  I hope you enjoy my 50 shells of gray and  unusual take on a "beach" theme.  I didn't bother to count but 50 sounds about right!

I like to think of this table representing a late afternoon thunder storm at the beach. I love a good thunderstorm, don't you?















And by candlelight (oops, I wasn't supposed to talk!)




Now for the credits...

Table runner.....Villeroy and Boch Outlet
Flower Vase.....Ross
Flowers...Publix and my yard
Candleholders.....Ross, Marshall's and thrift store
Candles.....Ross and Marshall's
Chargers.....Target
Dinner Plate.....Old Time Pottery
Salad Plate.....Beall's Outlet
Shell Plate.....Goodwill
Sand...grits topped with a little crystal sugar
Flatware.....Ross
Glasses.....Ross and a wedding gift
Shells around tapers.....Pottery Barn (napkin rings)
Napkins.....Target

Be sure to see what my landlocked sister has done for a beach table at Creating Wonderful Spaces.
This tablescape is blowing over to the following parties...
Let's Dish at Cuisine Kathleen
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage
Thursday Favorite Things at Katherine's Corner
Thrfty Things Friday at Thrifty Groove
Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home



















28 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Robin, what a cute 'coastal' table! I love all of your plates! How lucky to have the beach so close!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is really pretty and I agree that it gives that cloudy beach feel. I love all the grays and silver with white. This should be a fun party with all the beach tablescapes! Hugs, Linda

Elaine said...

This is probably the most elegant beach table I have seen. Whatever the opposite of tacky is, that is how I would describe it! The grays look wonderful with your wall color!

ellen b. said...

Such an elegant table! I love it!

A Cottage in the Clouds said...

Very pretty. Love the grays.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. Love the the plates.

Mary said...

Robin~ Love your 50 shells and yes I'm acquainted with the other version :) Love your square plates and your dish stack!

Alycia Nichols said...

Oooooohhhhh....I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with that title!!! You are SO bad! I love it! I haven't read it, but I have heard about it. Oh boy, have I ever heard about it!!! It's the talk of the cul-de-sac! Your table is sexy in its own less alarming way. :-) I LOVE what you did on the appetizer plate!!! That's just plain cool!!! Those chargers are downright delicious, too!!! Very pretty!!! Have a good weekend, and stop being so bad! ;-)

Marlis said...

Oh my, the shiny accents are just fabulous.. totally and I love your dishes. The feel of the table is certainly one of the beach on a cloudy day.. you captured it perfectly. xo marlis

Miss Kitty said...

You are oh so clever with the title harking back to the book everyone is talking about now! I love your tablescape...ooodles of prettiness and good ideas...napkin rings as candle adornments, grits and sugar as sand...I could go on. I saw your post over at the blog party at Ivy and Elephants.

Peggy Meckling-Baker said...

Such a beautiful table. You are quite talented. I'm a a fan of coastal themes done tastefully and you have definitely achieved that. I just found you through Shabby Creek Cottage. I'm your newest follower and a fellow newbie.

Scribbler said...

This is super elegant! I love the coolness and the quietly beautiful aspect of the whole table.

I haven't read that book yet, have you?

Unknown said...

So beautiful. Beachy without being too casual. I love grays.... You did a beautiful job.

Cynthia

Diane said...

Robin, this is beautiful. I especially like the creative use of the grits! So pretty in the candlelight!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Robin,
Welcome to Florida.....I am from Florida too, and live in the central Florida area. Hope you are enjoying it here.

Love your table, very elegant yet,
definitely Coastal, not beachy, even
tho you have sand and shells. Those chargers are gorgeous, and really think your grey idea was great, as your runner goes so well with everything, and love the touch of blue. Very nice.
Blessings, Nellie
Oh yea, you and I have the same motto!! lol

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Me Again,
Forgot to say thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments on my tablescape.
Blessings, Nellie

Marigene said...

Oh, how pretty, Robin. I love the photos with the candlelight.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Hi Robin, I am your newest follower.
Your seascape table is gorgeous. Such pretty plates....good idea using grits. love your post title...

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

What a stunning tablescape. It's both casual and elegant.

DearHelenHartman said...

Clever title - got me to take a peek! Your tablescape is lovely and so is your blog.

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Brilliant idea to use grits to mimic sand!! I really like the shell arrangement displayed on the "sand" in the shell plate. Very nice!

Kathleen said...

Grits? What does a New Joisey gurl know about grits! :)
Love your coastal table, the plates are lovely!
Pretty VB runner, our outlet closed, I miss it.
Very peaceful table, and no seagulls swooping down on us!
Thanks for taking the challenge at Let's Dish!

Jamie said...

this is so beautiful! I love how you paired the cooler grays with with the warmth of the wood and walls. amazing work!

One More Time Events said...

Your tablescape is just beautiful down to every last detail!

Donna at the Scarlet Petticoat said...

what a wonderful spin on the typical beach table! i love it!! i also enjoy the sights and sounds of a beach thunderstorm...once my 2 children and i were in a tent at assateage island in maryland and it was a vicious storm!! we had a blast!! ok, my daughter cried a little..but, she's over it now!!! the color palette you chose is perfect! thank you!

Patty said...

We would welcome a thunderstorm here in Indiana. Our grass is yellow and yet we are experiencing $250 monthly water bills! Your table looks lovely with the shells and I love the lilies in the center.

Diann said...

Well this table is sexy enough to be in that book! LOL It is so pretty in the grays and white. Great job! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF and I hope you are having a wonderful day!

The Charm of Home said...

Lovely! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry