Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Craigslist Headboards Solution

I gave you the solution, now let's take a look at the problem...


This is the guest room I've been working on the last few months.  You can read about it HERE.  It's pretty obvious what's missing.


Last night I came across this ad on Craigslist

Twin Pamero shop Head Boards - $40
2 Twin headboards. Excellent condition. Bargain price $40.00 for the pair. Originally over $100 each!!

I have been checking CL for headboards on and off for a few months now.  Since this is my beachy room, I was looking for wicker or white wood.  I even considered using wooden shutters (they have gotten too expensive!) This was the first ad I was interested in enough to email.  I was very happy to wake up to a response this morning saying they were still available.  I made sure to ask if this was a non-smoking household.  You can read HERE how I learned that lesson the hard way!  She assured me it was and this afternoon my husband borrowed our friend's truck and we picked them up.


Pretty nice! 


I had my husband hang the art work high enough for a future headboard even though I had no idea what we would wind up with.


I'm happy with the color of the wicker too.  Now I don't need to paint the little chest I'm using as a nightstand.  I like the contrast with the wall color ( I call it buttercream although it doesn't look it in these pictures-rainy day here!)


Am I done with this room now?


Not yet, but I'm getting close! 

You didn't think I was going to end this post without spewing out some advice did you?  Not a chance! 

First off, I think we all watch too much HGTV and think that our rooms/houses/yards have to be completely finished in a weekend.  That's just not being realistic.  I am a firm believer in living with a space first and seeing how you use it.  You may prefer the look of a sofa and a few chairs but in reality a sectional just works better for your family.  That delicate Victorian outdoor wicker furniture with the pale pink cushions  looks so pretty in the magazines but do you want your son and his friends eating popsicles on it  or your daughter out there with her colored markers? Or even worse, your 6 foot something husband sitting on it,  drinking a beer, all sweaty after he's mowed the lawn?  The best rooms are a combination of beauty and function  or in this case, two outdoor areas!  One for you with your pretty wicker and one for the rest of the family!.

Second point I want to make is not to rush out and buy every piece of furniture you need like you're a contestant on Design Star!  Most people have a budget and would be wise to wait for a good sale or even better yet, wait for the right thing to come up on Craigslist (see above!).  Slow down people, your house isn't going anywhere!  I have no choice but to follow this advice since my husband usually reels me in with that whole budget thing!  Don't you just hate that?

My last point has to do with Craigslist etiquette (if there isn't a book about this, there should be).  When someone has priced something reasonably (as these headboards certainly were) I just pay the full amount automatically.  If I think something is priced high or I've had to rent a truck to pick something up, I have no problem negotiating for a better price.  I like it when Craigslist transactions benefit both the buyer and seller.  Let's have everyone walk away happy!

I will be joining the fun at the following parties...
Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Spotlight Saturday at Classy Clutter
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different, Act Normal
Saturday 7 at Positively Splendid
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrift Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Your Cozy Home Party at Cozy Home Scenes
You're Gonna Love it Tuesday at Kathe with an E
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Creative Blogger's Party at Homemaker on a Dime
Newbie Party at DebbieDoos
Tutes and Tips not to be Missed at Home Stories A to Z
DIY Project Parade at DIY Showoff
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Show 'n Share at Southern Lovely
Rustic Restorations Party at Homespun Happenings
Pinspired Rewired at Southern Lovely
Grace At Home at Imparting Grace
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed


















17 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great finds. The headboards are fabulous. I love them. The room is looking great. Hugs, Marty

Gloria said...

This looks terrific. Good tips and as you say, no hurry to buy it all in one day ♥

allisamazing said...

The headboards look great! And you shared some great tips. There is something super satisfying about waiting and finding the perfect item at a great price :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the headboards! They are perfect for that room and a great price!! I also agree with your advice...we should enjoy the process of decorating and not think it has to be done at breakneck speed. Make it special, make it yours! Hugs, Linda

Elaine said...

Absolutely perfect! Like they were made for that room! I wish I could take my time with my guest room, but less than three weeks (and starting from scratch) has been a real challenge!

We may have better thrift stores, but you have better craigslist!

Susan Freeman said...

Hi Robin! I used to have a headboard exactly like yours before I was married except that it was white. I loved it, but decided to give it to a neighbor's little girl for her girly bedroom after I go married. I hope that she enjoyed it. I think your room looks great. The natural color of your headboards keep it from being too gender specific.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I enjoyed your post and your advice, and I think the headboards look wonderful in the room. Glad you found what you wanted at such a good price. I found your post at I should be mopping the floor.
Liz

CJ Foss said...

Love Craigslist. Boy, did they change the world of garage sales. Thanks for reminding us about how to recylce the furniture of the world! ~CJ

Patty said...

The headboards look great! I haven't tried Craigs list yet. My guest room needs a headboard. I was thinking of stenciling one on the wall....gosh I don't know. Like you said, we should take our time, but we have been here for 5 years!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Those headboards were a great find, Robin, and what a great price for the two! To me that was a fair price, and I would have gladly paid it myself. I agree with you on that point. They look great in the bedroom and really go well with the decor you have going on. I love that bedding, too!

Snap said...

The headboards are a great find and they look wonderful. Really like your "beach" room.

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

Headboards always make a BIG difference and yours certainly did too. What a great find you had on Craigslist and your advice is spot on!

Nicole said...

Those are really cute headboards. That was a great find!

My Dream Canvas said...

What a lovely find. This looks lovely!!! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas for my backyard party :-)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Those headboards are really pretty. Thank goodness for Craigslist! Thanks for all of your wise and great tips and for joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

Marigene said...

Those headboards are so perfect for your guest room!

Diann said...

Great find. Those headboards look perfect! And the rooms looks wonderful. thanks you for hsaring at TTF. I hope this weekend is a fun one for you and your family!