Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Liberty and Lobster for All!

"Where Liberty is, there is my country"-Benjamin Franklin

I should have named this post "Don't rain on my parade"!  We are feeling the effects of Debby right now and it has been raining non-stop for over 24 hours.  I wanted to do this table outside but there has been no window of opportunity at all. The weather isn't looking much better for tomorrow either.  Having no other choice, I set up my table in my great room eating area. 

I am a big fan of Fourth of July and always have been.  I have so many wonderful memories of this holiday from when I was a child to when my children were small.  No presents to buy, no cards to send out, a day off work and FIREWORKS!  My kind of holiday!  I have always loved fireworks.  Everything from waving sparklers around to viewing the spectacle at Disney World! 

My perfect meal for this holiday would have to be lobster.  If for some reason I had to pick a final meal (not planning on committing a crime!) it would definitely be lobster.  So let's try not to let the rain ruin our plans here and enjoy the Fourth (and hope it's way out of here before next week)


This is quite the thrifty table too.  Lots of items from Dollar Tree, thrift stores and clearance sales.


My place setting started with straw placemats (again!)  After Christmas I bought some bright green chargers on clearance at Walmart and so far all I've done to them was spray paint them with white primer.  Another project in progress!


For this table I criss crossed some burlap ribbon to give them a new look.  Have you ever worked with burlap ribbon?  It's fun and there's so much you can do with it.


Next I placed dinner plates I found yesterday at Kmart.  They are from the Country Living collection and were on clearance for $7 (for 4!).  The salad plates are sparkly red and were found on clearance at Ross.  Next up is a bowl from my Federalist Ironstone dishes and a glass dish with cute mints from Dollar Tree. 


I used my Cambridge flatware.


I found these napkin rings at Old Time Pottery.  The red, white and blue napkins are really cotton dishtowels from Dollar Tree.  I layered them with red napkins.



Glasses are from Dollar Tree also, as well as the mini flags.


I grounded my centerpiece on a white wooden tray.  Instead of cut flowers, I used a live plant  I picked up at Kmart yesterday.  Take a closer look here...


This good sized ceramic planter is from Dollar Tree.  I was surprised how nice it was.  Even the cashier couldn't believe I found it in her store!  In case you don't have Dollar Tree, they are a true dollar store (everything is $1)


I added a navy napkin to hide the plant container.  I like the way a flag looks next to yellow flowers.


The America sign is from a thrift store and the Lobster plate is from the Christmas Tree Shop.


My mouth is watering just thinking about eating lobster!  Dipped in melted butter! 





The trick to setting a Patriotic table isn't just using red, white and blue.  Try to vary your textures as I've done here.  There's no reason to spend a lot of money either as I have proved here also.   


Be sure to stop by my sister's blog, Creating Wonderful Spaces!

I am waving my flag at the following parties...
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll thru Life
Let's Dish at Cuisine Kathleen
Thursday's Favorite Things at Katherine's Corner
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Sunday Blog Love Linky Party at Cherished Treasures






















21 comments:

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Hi Robin, Are you in the panhandle? I'm down in the South East and it's been raining nearly nonstop since last night as well. We've only had a short break in the past few days and that was during the garage sale, thankfully. I have to keep going out and dumping the water out of my potted plants. It can't drain fast enough. Hope you see blue skies again soon. Oh, and your table design is great! Do you get the burlap ribbon at Joann's or Michael's or some other place? I love all the dollar store finds. I'll have to remember to check there for such things more often. You've made them all look expensive!
Liz

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Hi Robin, I love your table! You got some thrifty deals there! Thanks for sharing! ~Tammy

Jess_LyMi said...

Nice job! I love burlap and haven't worked with the ribbon yet. I'll have to get some at Hobby Lobby when it goes on sale sometime. Love that you did crafts that didn't cost a fortune.

Debby has been raining on us for 24 hours as well. I'm in central FL. I'm ready for the rain to stop!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. :)

Effie's Sweet Home Designs said...

HI ROBIN!
MY NAME IS EFFIE.
I LIKE YOUR DECORATION IDEAS !!!
I AM HAPPY TO MEET YOU!
HAVE A NICE WEEK!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am starting to plan my 4th of July table and I must admit yours is an inspiration! I also love lobster so this table is pretty darn perfect. I love Dollar Tree and need to stop in for a few flags!

Marlis said...

As a fellow DT aficionado.. They have the most fun stuff e-vah!! Love the dishcloths - really?? and I think Lobster is a perfect meal for the fourth.. Your table turned out soo pretty. Love it.. be blessed, xo marlis

Tricia said...

Oh, now you have me craving lobster -- with champagne-butter dipping sauce! Alas, they are not easy to find here in central Texas. So sorry about all the rain from Debby. Our good friends in Tallahassee are growing webbed toes. Your table is wonderfully festive for the Fourth!

ellen b. said...

Sorry about the rain. We've been watching some of the devastation on the news. Hope things dry up soon for you. I love the 4th too! You set a great table!

Creations By Cindy said...

Don't know what I love the best but I adore your silverware! It is all very sweet! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Alycia Nichols said...

I think you and I got tapped by the same Inspiration Fairy this week!!!In addition to my orange tablescape, I also finally got around to posting a 4th of July one complete with...you guessed it...seafood! Lobster and crab to be exact! That is certainly one of my favorite foods, and it's always great on the 4th along with corn & potatoes and a huge salad. With all the butter!!! Mmmmmmmm!!!! yup, we're thinking along the same lines! While it was too rainy for you to get outside, it has been too hot for me. I braved it yesterday, and now I have sunburn on my face. Great! Just what I didn't need!!! :-( I have burlap ribbon but haven't done anything with it yet. It's another one of those "someday" items in my inventory. I love the little lobster napkin rings!!! They didn't have those here. I guess because we're in the Midwest they think we don't eat lobster! Whatever! Love your table! I hope the rain lets up soon. I've been watching on the news, and it looks like it's going to do a little damage before it's all said and done. I hope you escape that part!

Entertaining Women said...

We have friends in Winter Park, and we pray that you all escape the storm with minimum damage. Your table is darling. I really like the striped dinner plates. We don't have Kmart, to my knowledge. Rats! I'd already be grabbing my car keys to make a run. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

Scribbler said...

Hope the Debby damage will elude you -- I wish we could have a little of that rain. It is sooooo hot and dry here right now.

That lobster idea has my mouth watering.

I am so jealous of all those $T finds you bloggers find: ours only seems to have kiddie party stuff.

BTW I love your chairs -- PB?

Marigene said...

What a great patriotic table, Robin. I would love to find some of those adorable lobster napkin rings...need to find time to make a trip to OTP the next time we head north!

Diann said...

What a fun and perfect table! I love all the dishes and the use of the burlap ribbon! So, when is the lobster ready? Should I bring anything? LOL I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Kathleen said...

Hope your weather improves! It has been really delightful here, hope it stays that way!

Love the table, what great buys! Burlap makes me itch, but maybe I could tolerate the ribbon, it looks great!
Super selection of dishes, wonderful , fun table!
Thanks for linking to Let's Dish !

Kathleen said...

Forgot to say thanks for linking with your blog name first, Liberty, LOL! I have those lobster dishes too, but where!

Sarah said...

You had me when I read the title, Liberty and Lobster! As a Texan, I love to visit the east coast during lobster season. YUM! Your table is perfect for a 4th of July celebration, and I agree this is a terrific holiday. It's always been one of my favorites. Happy 4th of July!
~ Sarah
PS
Please send us some of that rain!!!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Your table is wonderful for the holiday. Hope you get your lobster!

Katherines Corner said...

this table setting is terrific and perfect for the upcoming holiday. I love that you shared where you found everything and each step as you went along. thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop Linky Party. I hope you have a wonderful weekend xo P.S. I'm having a party at Katherines Corner today and just a reminder that the giveaway is ending

Chubby Chieque said...

Hi Robin,
Those lobster napkin rings are gorgeous. Hope to find here in Sweden or entire EU.

Happy w/end.
/CC

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

I love those blue striped plates! Kmart? Really? Might have to go get me some! Hope they still have a few left! I like the little patririotic mints too! Nice touch