Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Monday, February 6, 2012

"P" is for Porch

"P" is for Porch, Purple, Pineapples, Pentas, Pansies and Purple Kale.  That pretty much sums up the transformation of my front porch from Christmas to Late Winter/Early Spring.  This is a challenging time of year for seasonally appropriate decor.  Lucky for me, I live in Florida where the temperatures have been hovering near 80 most days and there is plenty of green and flowers to be found.  I headed in the purple direction since my door color is Raisin. 


I visited the garden section of Lowes where they had a nice variety of cold hardy annuals that would tolerate a chilly night or two just in case we have them (not likely!). 


I combined a purple kale (something I used to find in the fall in NJ) with a penta and pansies.


I filled my rustic baskets with some faux greens and berries in green and purple.  You can read more about these baskets HERE.


The greens are new from Old Time Pottery and the berries are from Dollar Tree and a thrift store. 


Two weeks ago I attended an arts and crafts festival in Punta Gorda where I picked up this pineapple welcome plaque,   I think it's made of some kind of plaster.  I can't resist pineapples! 


More of my pineapple obsession!


If you are trying to make a positive first impression of your home (especially if you have it for sale), an upgraded doorbell is a good idea.  After all, everyone who comes to visit will look for it and use it.  Nice hardware on your door is another thing to help create the feeling that this house is well cared for and special.  This doorbell is from Lowes and was around $15.  It was one of the very first purchases made for this house when we moved in.

I added some cement pieces around the flower pots to enhance the "garden" feel.  These are very inexpensive at Marshall's or Home Goods.



Yes, I realize this is an artichoke and not a pineapple (I love artichokes too!).

Go visit your garden center as soon as the weather allows in your area and see what they have this year.  I learned when I had my previous house for sale that there are some nice, colorful, cold hardy options out there.  Making your house say "Welcome" doesn't have to cost a lot of money or take much effort but the results are quite pleasing (had to throw another "P" word at you!)

I am joining the Met Monday party at Between Naps on the Porch and the Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick.  Be sure to check them out!





4 comments:

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Your front entrance does say "Welcome" its looks so pretty..
I love pineapples and artichokes too LOL
The raisin color on your front door has a hint of red to it, I like that a lot and double doors are wonderful for moving the big stuff in and out..
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Suzy said...

Your front entrance is so welcoming! I love the color of your front doors. It's a nice change to be able to see flowers outdoors in February. I'm so envious of your 80 degree temps!

Babs said...

Your front entry is really welcoming with the artichokes and pineapples. Great door color and rustic basket and I like the foliage in the basket.Wish we had an Old Time Pottery near us.
I know what you mean about aritchokes and pineapples...LOVE THEM BOTH!

Anonymous said...

Robin,
Do you know the name of the artist who made the pineapple door plaque that you purchased in Punta Gorda. If you have any info on that pineapple plaque creator please message me.
Kathleen Hartman on Pinterest