Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Love Actually!

Prime Minister: Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around.-  Quote from Love Actually

Okay, I know Love Actually was a Christmas movie but it's sentiment is suitable for any time of the year.  My daughter and I love this movie and whenever I pick someone up at the airport I am always reminded of this quote.  In my head the voice is Hugh Grant and his appealing English accent!  My tablescape for this week's Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch is more about love in general than just romantic love for two so I set the table for four.  It could be for a family or a group of single friends spending the evening together. 



A few weeks back I found this red square tablecloth (Ross).  If you read this blog, you know I love square tablecloths either for layering or letting the top of the table show. 



I started with these pewter colored chargers.  I found them at Anna's Linens in NJ when I was there in October.  I went in looking for pillows but you never know where you will find tablescape goodies!


The rose dishes are from Ross which is where I found the sparkly red salad plates too.  They were on clearance and less than .50 a plate. 



I went with the pewter color to go with the red in my napkins.  I got a great deal on these on line at Target after Christmas.



Instead of the obvious choice for my silverware (red) I went with the cream and I think the metal goes nicely with the chargers.


The napkin rings are from Old Time Pottery and were .99 a piece.


My Pottery Barn champagne glasses are making their debut (Christmas present from my husband but selected by my daughter!).  I love them!  The water goblets are from Goodwill.


I stopped in at Walmart the other day to pick up some cheap roses and can you believe they didn't have any?  I decided to get these white carnations and use some sparkly heart picks for the red color.


To stretch the small bunch of flowers I added greens from my yard and a few fake ones too.


This angel is from Ross and my sister bought the same one.  He's very versatile and was used at Christmas too.  He's also at home in a garden setting!  Sounds like good attributes to look for in a man too!


He always look a little bored though.  I added a box of candy to finish off the center of the table.



While I was at Walmart I picked up this Valentine candy corn. 


Get ready for lots of pictures!






And a little candlelight!





Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and try to spend it with people you love (actually)!

Please visit my sister's blog Creating Wonderful Spaces but make sure you dress warmly.  It looks like a chilly one!






















7 comments:

Elaine said...

This is such a classy table! Those chargers are almost too pretty to cover up! I like the mixture of glass and china, and also adding the beige accents to tone down the red. Your new glasses are lovely and I bet you will get a lot of use out of them! Funny, I have always thought of my angel as a girl!

Alycia Nichols said...

Good morning, Robin! "Love Actually" is a favorite of mine, too! I have watched it over and over and over again. Hugh Grant is so good in it, as are all of the actors. I cried and laughed and then cried some more. I watch it all year round! Yes...I can believe there were no roses! The closer we get to Valentine's Day, they are seem to be waiting to put them out there so they can jack up the prices! The carnations are a very pretty sub. I love the smell of them and the ruffly edges. I love the chargers!!! The design on them is really great! It's hard to find pewter. I have been looking for a long time. You scored!

Marigene said...

Beautiful table, Robin. I can't believe you found those plates for so little...they are lovely. The chargers are really pretty, too bad so much is covered by the plate!

A Perfect Setting said...

Hi Robin,
Yes, I do love the little bored guy. He really does make a statement on your table--such a great size! Those candleholders look like the candlewick pattern? I think I have the same ones. Great finds on this table, from those cool chargers to the pretty rose and red plates!!

Tess said...

This is such a great post! "Love, Actually" is one of my all time favorite movies! I watch it any season! Your valentine's table is beautiful with all of the red. Just charming! I love your napkin rings! I have seen these at $4 each.

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

I am just peaking in! You have a lovely Valentine Tablescape. The little angel is charming!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty your charger and plates are ... I especially like the rose ones. I've never seen that movie....I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks for your sweet visit. Your table is so pretty by candlelight. Love the angel, the pretty flowers (love carnations for their spicy scent and lasting power)... the candy.....lots to love about your setting.