Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pottery Barn Look for Less!

Welcome to my post this week for Metamorphosis Monday!  Thanks to Susan of Between Naps on the Porch for hosting this weekly event where we see what amazing transformations are going on in Blogland!



Like a lot of you, I look forward every month to the arrival of my new PB catalog to see what's new in furniture, accessories and design.  I love to look but rarely buy anything unless it's on clearance!
When I first started looking at blog entries, one of my favorite subjects was "Pottery Barn Knockoffs".   I was truly impressed with the items the bloggers were capable of "knocking off".  Whether it was wrapping jute around a jug, covering books in plain paper or building and aging a wooden box these people were GOOD!  As of now, I haven't created my own knock off but I did manage to achieve one by doing what I do best-shopping!




We have a rather large entrance way in our new home with 11' ceilings and a transom window over the double front doors.  I wanted a hanging pendant type light that could be seen from the exterior through the window.  The rooms flanking the entrance contain my Dining Room Chandelier and my Office ceiling fan.




  I feel like the only thing worse than all your light fixtures "matching" is a combination of three that are completely unrelated.  I wanted them all in the bronze to black color family.  I was looking for something simple but substantial enough to carry the room.  I came across this one at Pottery Barn and thought it would work but of course the price changed my mind.  We're talking a total of $350.28 after tax and shipping.  Below is the picture from their website.


Then I did what I always do-I Googled it!  I put in "Pottery Barn knock off" and came across a post describing this light from Overstock.com.  I honestly can't see a difference, can you?  I have bought several items from them in the past, including a queen mattress for our guest room (no tax and $1.00 shipping!).  I have yet to be disappointed.   I read the reviews for the light (very helpful) and ordered it right away.    A week later I had this!


And the price?  $151.99, no tax and $1.00 shipping!  I'll do the math for you, a savings of $197.28!  My husband borrowed a ladder (that ceiling is tall!) to hang it and we couldn't be happier.   Here is the light hanging in my entrance.





I highly recommend the lighting at Overstock.com and Ebay as well.  The items are new, brands that you know and the shipping is usually free or very reasonable ($1.00, really?).  I always read the reviews and try to google the product so that I can see that I am really getting a deal.

Sorry about the reflection in this shot but you get the idea, right?

While I was getting all my facts together for this post I couldn't help doing a little browsing on Overstock.com and came up with these beautiful light fixtures I thought you might want to see.


$118.99


                                                                          $118.99


$139.99

Aren't these great?  I am not associated with Overstock.com in any way, just passing along what I think is a great deal.  And who doesn't love having things delivered right to their front door?

I hope everyone has a great week!  Please stop by and see what my sister's blogging about at Creating Wonderful Spaces.  Have you created or purchased a Pottery Barn knock off?  I would love to hear about it!   Leave me a comment!


10 comments:

Elaine said...

Another great find, Robin! Are you sure you don't want to move next door to me in Colorado? You would save me so much money!!! I would shovel the snow from your driveway! No, I didn't think so! Anyway, thanks for the tips!

pumkinhd1 said...

Yes, I agree, a great find. What I'd like to know is how do you plan on getting all the dead bugs out that will inevitably land in the bottom of it? :(

Something Nice and Pretty said...

It looks like the PB one exactly! Great job on finding one and now I have to visit Overstock.com

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love your new light...loved that you researched it...I always do the same...I am a new follower...phyllis

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I just love your PB inspired lamp! I hope you will add your lovely metamorphosis to my Fall in Love linky party on Wednesday.

Until then, stop by and see the under $20 makeover I gave an ugly brass light fixture.

Happy Monday!

Kathy said...

Robin...you are right...these lights are wonderful!!!!
I hope this post shows up, my last post on your Blog is gone???

Sue said...

Good for you for finding a great knock-off of the PB fixture! Those catalog prices are nothing short of exorbitant. I'm used to paying wholesale for most of my decorating items because I'm in the biz, but sometimes I have to buy retail. Thanks for showing us your coup! Visiting from Susan's party.
~ Sue

Unknown said...

Great deal! It looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing,I will check it out.I love your light.

The Guyers said...

I have wanted this for some time now. Thanks for the tip!!! Found you at TipJunkie link party!

Angela @ Our Family Journey
http://guyerfamilyblog.com

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Robin,
I am visiting you from Susan's. I am your neighbor Home is Where the heart is..I just visited Elaine she was always my neighbor..
I love Pottery Barn...and you are so right, I can't tell the difference either!
I have become your newest follower...
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth