Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Dockside" Dinner

Thank you to our hostess, Susan, of Between Naps on the Porch, for another Tablescape Thursday.  It seems like everyone in Blogland is in a hurry for fall but here in Florida it will be summer for a long, long time.  One of my favorite things about living here is dining outside by the water.  The Gulf, the Bay, the River, I don't care!  Just give me a glass of wine, a tiki torch and a view of H2O and I'm in heaven.  Today I will try to get close to that feeling with this tablescape.  The weather cooperated beautifully so I set up a table for four on our pool deck (the "dock").




I started with a Waverly Tablecloth (clearance Ross) layered over a fishnet (Dollar Tree).  Mr. Flies South took the umbrella out of the table so that I could use this square tablecloth.  We love this table (BJ's Wholesale and it's guaranteed not to rust-important here!).  It came with 8 counter height chairs, has storage underneath and a slate top that weighs a ton!



With only 4 place settings there was alot of room to fill on this table.  I used a white wooden tray (Villeroy and Boch outlet) to corral the centerpiece elements. I added a brick lighthouse borrowed from my friend Beth's collection.




Flowers and greens  from my yard (please don't ask what they are) in a heavy glass vase (Ross) perched on an upside down ice cream glass (Walmart) to add height. 



I had to include a boat (Beall's Outlet) if we are supposed to be on a dock!



The place setting started with a straw charger (IKEA or Walmart), a white plate (Federalist Ironstone from my mom) and 4 different salad plates with nautical themes (Beall's).







I layered navy and cream cotton napkins and used a bit of rope tied in a loose knot instead of a traditional napkin ring ( this would look great with a thinner rope tied in one of the more complicated nautical knots). Once again, I turned to my clear acrylic flatware (Ross).



Then I put out my blue wineglasses (Dollar Tree) and clear acrylic ones with a shell design (Ross) as water glasses. It's probably not a great idea to have glass by the pool but with all adults it should be okay.




The sun is starting to set so let's light some candles and enjoy the show.  Most nights we get glorious sunsets but this day there were no clouds to the west so it was just a nice glow.



Instead, Mother Nature treated us to a view of the rising moon complete with a pink and blue color palate.







These little cuties are from Beall's Outlet.  They have a discount program, 15% off every Monday for age 50 and above, 15% off every Friday for 49 and younger.  I won't tell you which one I take advantage of!


This shell came form a local thrift shop.  The women working there thought it may have been an ashtray in it's previous life.  I just stuck some little rocks and tea lights in it.

My Dad made this lantern (everyone in our extended family has one) and it started off with a walnut stain.  I painted it cream and distressed it to give it a new look.

I like the way the pool cage and Adirondack chairs are reflected in our pool in this picture.


Only thing better than dinner outside by the water, is having it at sunset.  And, just like people, most tablescapes look better by candlelight.  Let's light the tiki torches, enjoy the sky and have our dinner "dockside".


Thanks for stopping by.  I love reading your comments so please comment away!  Even better become a follower.  Please stop by my sister Elaine's blog and see her tablescape for this week .  You can find her at Creating Wonderful Spaces.   

                                                                                  

17 comments:

Elaine said...

OMG, does Dad know you painted his lantern??? Just kidding. LOVE your dockside theme. I just bought those straw mats today at World Market! We are SO related! I think my favorite feature today is the fish netting! Very original!

Deanna said...

Hi there! Stopping by from BNOTPorch enjoying the fantastic tablescapes. Love your theme!

You've done a super job creating a neat table.
God bless,
d

Kathleen said...

I agree! Even though I live in NY, it is still warm, and I walked down to the Bay today and there were plenty of people swimming. I don't need the wine, just keep me by the beach!
I love your table! I have the same salad plates. Got them this summer online in the Pfaltzgraff clearance. Sorry I didn't buy 4 more !
Here's to flip flops!

Kathe said...

I heart those salad plates! We are sitting here in Colorado with rain in the city and snow being forecasted for over 8,000 ft. Your table makes me miss summer already! Followed from BNOTP.

Kathe

The Tablescaper said...

Love your table. I too got those plates and the tablecloth. Love how you brought it all together.

- The Tablescaper

A Perfect Setting said...

This is just darling! I really love those plates--there are so many elements here that I just adore. One of my favorite things is a tray and it's great how you used it on your table. Can your dad make me a lantern? lol The napkins with the rope tie, and your tablecloth tie everything together. Great job!!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I'll be visiting your blog throughout the winter! It is still nice here in Upstate NY, but I will need a "warm" fix soon.

I love your table! I have plenty of lighthouses in my collection, and have often thought of doing a tablescape with the lighthouse theme.

Debbie said...

Oh, I love this! Having dinner next to your pool at sunset must be heavenly.

Barb said...

Hi Robin, I live in Florida also....love it!

Your table and setting are lovely. So peaceful and inviting.

It will be a while before we receive any cool weather but don't let anyone kid you....it can get downright cold in Florida. Brrrr.

Barb ♥

Allison said...

so far this one is my favorite.. (right up until you and i do the one themed after me) i love the lighthouse and those salad plates. so cute!

Completely Coastal said...

I adore your tablescape!! And I'm in no hurry for Fall. I'd love to have endless summer! But I live in New England..., dreaming of a place in Florida!

Unknown said...

Love your tablescape! Beautiful setting.Thanks for sharing.

Marigene said...

What a lovely waterside table...you can't go wrong with blue and white. And...I was going to ask what the flowers were...beautiful whatever they are!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty -- I say....when you've got summer weather....set a summer table. Love those fun dishes.

Alycia Nichols said...

Hooray, Robin! Glad to see a summer tablescape!!! I am still resisting, although I'm slowly being pulled into the fold! With temperatures here only in the low 60s today, I guess I'm getting a lot closer to climbing on that bandwagon! Your table looks great! I really, really love those nautical plates! They look so cool! I think it's wonderful that you used the lantern your Dad made for you. That is so sweet! I clicked on the photo where you describe your outdoor dining table and wow...it IS cool!!! It appears to be QUITE substantial. Extra bonus that it is rust resistant! Great table setting!!!

a quiet life said...

your apples are cute, but i am always drawn to water!

Jan said...

Hi Robin,
It's Jan (Chicos)
(From chance meeting at the checkout of Ole Time Pottery - Brandon).

Love your table layouts.
Gonna get my sister-in-law to check out your blog as well.

jansjewelsandglass.com