Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Freezer Pop Colors

Once again, thank you to Susan from Between Naps on the Porch for hosting Tablescape Thursday.  I also want to thank Susan for helping me with a posting problem I had last week.  Please be sure to visit her blog and see the other tablescapes.  Every week, I continue to be amazed at the creativity, beauty and fun I find there.

 

I have a confession to make.  I am a grown woman and I still like the occasional freezer pop.  Yes, freezer pops.  Those artificially colored and flavored treats we all ate as kids and probably fed to our kids, too.  What can I say?  It's hot here in Florida and they are really refreshing.  I'm sure I look really sophisticated eating one.  Those bright color tubes of frozen ice inspired  this week's tablescape (along with a very inexpensive tablecloth from Marshall's!).

 I set the table in the dining area of our kitchen/great room.  It's a glass topped table, 52" in diameter.  The tablecloth is rectangular but I think it still works.  I don't pay much attention to the size of a tablecloth.  You can always drape it across the table, layer it with another cloth or cut it down to make a table runner and napkins.  If I like the fabric I will find a way to make it work.


The polka dot appetizer plate came in a set of 4 at Marshall's.  I think appetizer plates are a budget conscious tablescaper's best friends.  They are inexpensive and come in lots of cute designs and colors.  The next layer is from my everyday white dishes from Burlington Coat Factory.  I think paper plates would have cost more!  The dinner plate is stoneware from Dollar Tree.  But my best buy is the rattan and wooden chargers.


I think you can see why.  Sometimes Goodwill really delivers.  There were five of them, of course, because GW always seems to have odd numbers of things!  The napkins are from Ross and I made the napkin rings from felt flowers on wire (Michael's 80% off bin) and some plain white rings I had.


The clear acrylic flatware is from Ross.  It's works with any casual setting.


I assembled the cloche from pieces from GW.  The ceramic vase is also a GW purchase and the faux (fake!) flowers are from Dollar Tree and Walmart.  The turquoise glass piece is from Ross (to be honest, I have no idea what it is, it has a plug on the bottom though).


I left the ties on the candles to match the brown in the chargers.  The glass marbles are from Dollar Tree.  Dollar Tree has sand, too.  Why pay more at craft stores?


The goblets are from Marshall's and the pretty wine glasses were a wedding gift. 


Even though this seems like a "daytime" table I still like to use candles and light them when it starts to get dark.  Trying hard to capture that "blue hour". 


No, that isn't smoke you see, just me playing with effects on Picnik!


This was a fun table to put together with most items coming from Dollar Tree and GW.  Did I get you in the mood for a freezer pop?

Thank you for stopping by and viewing my tablescape for this week.  I would love for you to leave me a comment or even better, become a follower. 

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Love those colors. Very pretty!

Marlis said...

That tablecloth and the pops were a great jumping off point for a lovely table.. love the colors and your dishes are perfect.. polka dots are the greatest!!! xo marlis

Alycia Nichols said...

I love the color combination! It's fantastic! And don't worry about the freezer pop thing. My husband is almost 60 years old, and he still loves those things! He hands them out to his patients sometimes. I think they think he's weird (and he is...but that's not the point!), but they gleefully suck it up! You did a great job with the napkin rings!!!!!!

Unknown said...

What a fun table! I love the dishes you used. The colors certainly say "cool" to me! I love the polka dots. Enjoy your freezer pops!
By the way...I watch Nate everyday while eating lunch. I think he is wonderful!

Elaine said...

There are so many fun elements! The polka dot dishes have to be my favorite, but the table cloth really plays a big part, too. LOVE blue and green together--so fresh looking! Can't wait to see where those polka dots turn up next!

Marigene said...

Oh, my favorite color combo, aqua and lime...gorgeous! Love the candles.

Entertaining Women said...

I'm always a sucker for a great tablescape, too! The plaid sets the perfect mood for your table. I think that the piece with the stopper in the bottom might be made to fit in a candelabra, making it possible to use a votive candle...could be something else, but that would be my guess. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

A Perfect Setting said...

Hey there!! I love the color combo as well, so fun! Plaid and polka dots go so great together, and the cute little napkin rings added just the right touch. Don't you love finding great things at GW?? Thanks for visiting with me!!

Karin Şen Cankan said...

Just beautiful, lovely tablecloth.

Karin Şen Cankan
karinsfairytale.blogspot.com