Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Golden Glow Thanksgiving

Even if you rarely put much effort into setting your table there always seems to be that one exception.  That Autumn holiday that revolves around our favorite seasonal food.  That time when people actually spend time at the table and savor every bite.  Grandparents come to visit, children are home from college and besides watching some football, they are there to sit at your table and eat!  So why not step up to the plate and really go for it this Thanksgiving? 

A few weeks back I came across these appetizer plates at Marshall's.  My mind started racing with ideas that included using them for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I decided to use some of my more formal pieces to put this table together so that it would be appropriate for an evening meal.


They came in a 4 pack and originally I only picked up one pack but I was in a different Marshall's and decided I liked them enough to want 8.  They also came in dinner plates, salad plates and some serving pieces but I knew they would work well with what I had.  I like to mix gold and silver since my flatware is silver.



I set the table for six in my Dining Room. 



My gold place mats (Ross) can either be dressed up or down.  I added a gold charger and used my Federalist White Ironstone dinner and salad plates.  I used my GW silverware and what a great deal it has turned out to be.  I seem to use it all the time now. 


I layered a gold napkin (Home Goods) with this shiny taupe one(Ross) with a subtle leaf design.  I had lots of napkin rings but none in gold so I picked these up at Old Time Pottery ($1.29 each).


An easy way to make a meal more special is to use placecards.  These are just little frames from Dollar Tree and they add some silver to the mix.  I found a turkey image on line that I liked and just printed it out 6 times.  No names yet since I'm not sure who is coming for dinner this year.  I went with a dignified looking turkey for this more formal table.


For the centerpiece I used my glass hurricane with an ivory candle sitting on a cake stand (Ross).  I love the ruffled edge of the stand.   


I went a little crazy with spray paint a few weeks ago and painted silk leaves from Dollar Tree and some pumpkins and gourds I had on hand.



At first I had the centerpiece sitting on it's own but decided it needed some kind of a runner.  I have seen other bloggers using scarves and thought this was a great idea.  Anyone who knows me, knows I have an obscene amount of scarves.  I wear them all the time.  This was one my mother gave me and it has gold threads running though it.  I thought it finished off the middle of the table perfectly.



I found these ivory ceramic candlesticks at two different times on clearance (Ross).  The gold candles are from the Christmas Tree Shoppe.  Yes!  I got to shop there last week when I was visiting my hometown in NJ. 





I finished it off with my crystal glasses. 



A few more pictures.








Let's light the candles and get this dinner started!









Did you notice that the candlelight pictures don't have frames?  Sorry, I was trying to get this post done so I could watch the CMA's.  (I don't want to miss Scotty McCreery!).

I am joining Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch. Be sure to visit my sister Elaine at Creating Wonderful Spaces to see her table using our Grandmother's things. Do you eat Thanksgiving dinner in the afternoon or after dark?  Do you try to make it a bit more formal or more casual?  Here's a tip:  the later the dinner the more time you have to get that turkey stuffed and in the oven!   

Sister Act 

Next Wednesday, November 16, my sister and I will be posting very special tablescapes. Even though we haven’t lived within a thousand miles of each other since our country’s bicentennial, the sister bond runs deep. On one visit, on the same day, we wore identical outfits. Our niece just had a baby and we purchased the exact same gift. It has always been a source of amusement for us. We knew it was bound to happen when we both started tablescaping, but we bought the same appetizer plates. We thought it would be fun to use them the same week, make some guidelines to the colors allowed, and see what happens! So, be sure to join us next week for Tablescape Thursday!!!


11 comments:

Elaine said...

Those plates are SO pretty! I love the soft gold of your table, and I think silver and gold go great together! Very pretty scarf from Mom, and you did a wonderful job on the centerpiece!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!Love r your colors.

a quiet life said...

such pretty plates, perfect for nov and dec :)

Sandra said...

Beautiful Table! I love the ivory and gold.

Susanne said...

Beautifully set table. I came from your sister's blog and will be back on your sister act next time.

Marigene said...

Simply stunning, Robin! The white with gold appetizer plates are so pretty...beautiful centerpiece.

Jacqueline said...

I just saw those plates today! They are wonderful and the way you dressed them up is beautiful. I just had a great idea for your placecards/frames! Have everyone write down things they are grateful for on the cards and then read them, or pass them and read them. Truly a beautiful table.

Alycia Nichols said...

Wow, Robin...that IS a strong sister bond! I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with next week! That sounds like fun!!! Gorgeous salad plates...and they go with your existing plates so well! You can get a lot of mileage out of those bad boys in the years to come!!! Love the ruffled look of the cake stand you used for the centerpiece, too. It lends a softness to the look.

Entertaining Women said...

We have a brand new Marshall's. I'm going to go see if your beautiful plates are available here, too. You did a wonderful job creating your tablescape. The metallic pumpkins and leaves on your lovely ruffled plate are the perfect touch for your centerpiece. Thank you for inviting us for a peak at your gorgeous design. Cherry Kay

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a beautiful tablescape! It does indeed glow! Hope you are having a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Tea in Texas said...

Lovely plates and the gold and white seem to mix so well with your china. The candle holders are another favorite of mine. Happy Tablescaping! Pam