Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Headed for (a) Fall!

It's the beginning of a new week and time for Metamorphosis Monday, hosted by Susan of Between Naps on the Porch. 



 The other day, when I was trying  to avoid cleaning the house, I added some Fall touches to my Kitchen/Great Room.  Decorating for Fall in my house seems a little like doing a coastal, beach theme in a snow lodge.  A bit out of place.  I did it anyway!  Not too much, not a ton of colored leaves and no cornstalks. 


I had already arranged some things on my Dining Room side table for my tablescape last week.  I added the sugar and creamer (Ross) and a candle ring (Rustic Rose) under the pitcher.





The larger pumpkin is from Marshall's and it lights up.  The smaller ones are from Dollar Tree.



I love that it "sparkles" a bit.



I put a tray (Villeroy And Boch Outlet) on my kitchen table and topped it with a cloth napkin (Tuesday Morning).  The candlestick and bird pillar are from Ross and the vase is from Goodwill.  I filled the vase with faux items from Michael's and Dollar Tree.  I am ignoring the odd number rule on this tray.  I prefer to just add things until it looks right to me.  As I have told you before, I have no decorating, photography or artistic training of any kind ( I'm sure it shows!).



Putting everything on a tray makes it so easy to clear when you want to use the kitchen table for eating instead of just decorating!



I always put some kind of  vignette on the corner of my breakfast bar.  I don't have a fireplace mantle in this house so I guess this is my substitute.  I need to use one of those programs that will just focus on the foreground in the picture (note: work on that!)  My large glass jar is so versatile.  You can fill it with anything!  This time, it's shiny faux pumpkins and giant acorns sprinkled with "sugar".  I added a black wooden candlestick,  a variety of pumpkins and fruits nestled in some silk leaves. I added some pod and feather picks (Rustic Rose) after seeing them used in the store display. 





To balance out the tall jar I layered plates and pumpkins on a simple black iron rack.  The large plates are from Dollar Tree, small green plates from Goodwill and the yellow square plates (love these!) are from Rustic Rose.



And for those of you who are wondering why there is nothing on top of my cabinets...there is!  It's just out of sight.  I didn't want to fill the whole space so I just concentrated on the right hand side of each wall of cabinets.  I will be showing this in a future post. 



These pumpkins and pears were bought at Ross, Dollar Tree and Walmart. 



I can keep this up until Thanksgiving since it will work throughout the season.  I wanted a little "Halloween" in the house, so I put some things together in a corner of my kitchen counter top.  The black granite works great for this.  Luckily I have tons of counter space.  The first few months we lived here it was almost empty but it didn't look like a home to me.  I have been slowly cozying it up (or cluttering it up!).



The plate, stand, candle and skull salt and pepper shakers are from Ross.  The ghost was from a thrift store and the scarecrow is over 25 years old.  I'm not really sure where I got it but it  made it through 4 moves and lots of Halloweens!

I had planned on taking some pictures of my front porch but it has been rainy and gloomy here all day.  Not our typical Florida weather.  If you look closely, most of these decorations can easily be modified for other times of the year.  Start with a tray, a white pitcher, a white vase and some candlesticks and just go from there.  You can Google "fall decorating" and see an enormous amount of ideas to copy or adapt them to your taste. 

Please stop by Creating Wonderful Spaces to see what my sister, Elaine, is up to this Monday!

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Love your decorations! Your pumpkins are wonderful--every single one. I forgot I had one of those three level plate holders, but I found it in my basment (MY Ross) and will try to come up with something as pretty as yours! If you ever see another bird on pillar, grab it for me! Anyway, I think your home looks very festive!

Allison Shops said...

How pretty. I just love fall and all its colors.

Dropping by from BNOTP.

Allison
Atticmag
Hidden Laundry

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great Fall and Halloween decorations!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin ~ Thanks for visiting my blog! Your fall decor is really nice and you have a beautiful home!