Robin Flies South...

A blog about decorating and tablescaping with an emphasis on creativity and smart shopping over cash!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

I've Got the Blues!

Maybe we are all thinking green these days with St. Patty's Day and Spring coming on us but I'm feeling blue this week!  I started out with some new napkins I found at Ross that had blue flowers on them.  Funny thing is, after I "played" with my dishes I wound up not even using them!  Does that happen to you too?  I do the same thing with clothes.  I have to be "in the mood" to wear certain things.  That could explain why I am a compulsive over-packer!  How can I possible know what I will feel like wearing two or three days from now?  Sorry, I'm getting off subject here, back to tablescaping! 

I set a table for four in my Dining Room (because that's what I was in the mood for!). 


I bought these placemats a few weeks back at Ross (less than $1 each!).  They look like little rag rugs.  I'm always looking for different textures.


I tried to break up the blue with touches of green and brown.  That color combination seems to work well in nature. 


I think there's a reason we all own these rattan chargers.  They look great and are so versatile.  A place setting instantly becomes more casual sitting atop these!  Mine are from Beall's Outlet but they are available in many different stores in dark and light tones.


The dinner plates are from a thrift store, the salad plates are from Ross (love the color!), the leaf plates are also from Ross and I seem to find myself using them all the time.  Now you're probably wondering where I got the cute little green leaf plates.  I have to admit I don't remember.  I think that's one of the signs of being a "dish-aholic" when you can't even remember buying your dishes!


I do remember buying these pretty, paisley napkins (Marshall's).  They are April Cornell (of course!).  The napkin rings are from Home Goods and look like little gardening tools.


I found these glasses at my favorite Goodwill (on the way to the beach).


I borrowed this container from my home office to use as my centerpiece.  It's also a Home Goods purchase.  The greens are casually arranged (I plopped them in !).


I guess it's a big artichoke!  Once again, I love texture.


These candlesticks are from Marshall's and have that nice chippy look to them like they have been outside in a garden.  The candles have layers of blue, green and brown.



Two cement birds add to the garden feel.


Green votive candles are nestled in glass bowls filled with glass beads in blue and green. 





A little candlelight...




I'd like to share a tip with you about shopping for seasonal home decor or tablescaping items.  SHOP EARLY!  The stores start putting things out way before the season has begun whether it's summer or Christmas!  You have to be thinking ahead all the time.  Stores like Ross, Home Goods and Tuesday Morning only get a few of each item.  Once it's gone, it's gone.  Stores like Pier One, Pottery Barn, Z Gallerie or even Old Time Pottery will have more of a supply and will have things for a longer period of time.  In that case, you can "think" about a purchase for a few weeks.  One more tip for today.  I always try to make sure I can use something in at least 2 different ways and don't buy it if you don't love it!  This tip should save you money and storage space!  I enjoy "shopping " my house as much as shopping in the stores.  Today's centerpiece is a good example of that.

I am joining the party at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday and Centerpiece Wednesday at the Style Sisters..

Be sure to visit my sister's blog, Creating Wonderful Spaces to see her table for this week.


















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blues and all the accessories you have used. You know, I'm thinking St. Pat will have no objections.

Jocelyn said...

I'm thinking blues this week too :-) I love your table. Your centerpiece is gorgeous. I'd love to find a container like that.


Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love your blues! Gorgeous table. Thanks for sharing your tips Joann come and follow me I will follow you back

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alycia Nichols said...

So pretty, Robin! Blue is the perfect color to bring Spring to the fore! Your artichoke centerpiece is really cool. I love artichokes...not so much to eat, but to look at! :-) I'm with you on "shopping the house." I have spent years amassing and weeding out to build the perfect in-home store so that I don't have to necessarily hunt things that will work well for a tablescape. If I just flip through my computerized catalog, I can almost always find exactly the right thing without having to spend another dime. My rule for buying is that I need to (in pretty short order, too) be able to think of a minimum FIVE ways to use something before I buy it. My brain must really be able to process quickly, because whatever it is almost always ends up coming home with me! That also helps me with the weeding out process...if something is played out, sell it or give it away to someone who can think of new uses for it. I have NO problem doing that! I must also be some sort of savant because I can tell you where almost to the square inch everything is stored as well as where I bought it...and usually know how much I paid for it! I need psychiatric assistance...stat! :-) Have a good weekend!!!

Marigene said...

Ah, my favorite blue/green combo...love it! I never seem to hit TJMaxx or HomeGoods when they have AC tablecloths/napkins...they are so pretty. Your centerpiece sure doesn't look like when I plop greens into a vessel...love it!

The Style Sisters said...

I love this tablescape! The napkins are so pretty in blue with a hint of gree and those napkin rings are just adorable! The huge artichoke is just plain awesome!! I love texture too! Thanks for linking up to Centerpiece Wednesday!!

Karin

Elaine said...

The shades of blue are so pretty! Your centerpiece looks wonderful and I love the look of those candlesticks. Of course, I love the birds, too. Mom's flatware works beautifully and the blue goblets were a great find!

Entertaining Women said...

Water blues and greens are always so comforting and lovely. You've done a great job mixing and matching textures and colors. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

xinex said...

Love the blues and the greens, Robin. Thanks for the very helpful tip.....Christine